Thursday, March 11, 2010

Jonas 2.9-2.11 years

Most people have read my post on my other blog about the fun times we're having with our almost 3-year-old.  The truth is, Jonas is way too intelligent for his own good.  His curiosity about how things work and why -  both inspire me and scare me to death at times. We've run into several "fun" moments at home lately.  He's been more adventurous, and getting into more and more things around our home and outside of it lately.  I am going to have to toddler-proof my home very soon. 

Some scary stories for your reading pleasure: While I was nursing Marin the other day, actually, most of these stories start out this way. It's the only time Jonas really has free reign of the house, and he uses it to his advantage.  Anyway, while I was nursing Marin, Jonas went into his bathroom, asked me to "stay out here" and closed the door (this is NEVER a good sign).

I heard him potty, then running water. I was giving myself pats on the back for his great hygiene.  Without me even reminding him he was washing his sweet little hands. Or not. He came out and started playing with his toys and then told me, "Look mommy, I wiped my face off." "Good job sweetheart, " I said, preceding more pats on the back for myself.  Then he said proudly, "Yeah, I scraped it like this, like Daddy" and proceeded to demonstrate a shaving motion on his sweet little cheeks!  Stunned I said, "What do you mean? Show mommy what you used, " in the sweetest least-terrified voice I could muster. 

He dragged me to the restroom, where he pointed to the guest toothbrush holder, and pointed to a razor hanging in one of the holes. EEEEEEK!!!!!!!! Are you serious? How did that get there!?!   I snatched it up immediately - again trying not to act shocked. He said, "Yeah, that's what I used," beaming in total un-cut innocence.

THANK GOODNESS - the plastic protector was still in place on the razor. He had used his foaming hand soap and shaved his face like he saw Daddy do - only the plastic protected him. Whew!  Catastrophe averted, no thanks to me.

His new stepping stool has gotten us into many dangerous situations. Thankfully - nothing has caused real problems yet. Yikes! If my house wasn't so neglected in terms of being clean right now - I might actually be catching things before they happen. These "safety violoations"  need to be a thing of the past.

On a happier note, Jonas is the sweetest BIG brother Marin could ask for. He loves her and tells her so constantly. He watches out for her, pampers her, cuddles and kisses her. He includes her in everything, and has counted her part of our family, even before she "cracked out" of my stomach - according to him. 

At 2 years, 9 months he's 3ft. 3 in., wearing a size 11 shoe! He's so tall and handsome. His vocabulary rivals that of most 4-5-year-olds, and I am constantly getting comments from friends, colleagues and even strangers about his mastery of language. He speaks in complete adult-form-sentences and can carry intelligent conversations with adults. Yes, he's still a child and thinks and acts like one, but he is one smart-cookie.  I often have to remind myself that despite appearances - he is still only 2 years old. I can't expect him to act older, because he isn't. Even though he does act older most of the time.

He is in a phase where he has really started testing his boundaries. He will yell at me, and tell me "no". He can be defiant when asked to do something he doesn't want to do, and has mastered the tantrum. He especially likes to pull the tantrum card out when we're in a very public place - to test mommy's reaction. Ugh. He knows it really bothers me when he throws himself on the floor, but thankfully he reserves this for only REALLY special occasions.

99% of the time he is sweet, polite and acts well beyond his years. He keeps his room cleaned and organized (with some help). He's also started imaginative play on his own - today his room transformed into a submarine.  He can recognize all capital and lower-case letters, can spell his name, and recognize letters 1-10, and count much higher. He loves being read to, and will re-tell some stories (and correct you when you've misspoken while reading to him.)  He can draw circles and lines, and has begun to draw other creations (like the bumpy cracked dinosaur egg he just showed me).  He likes cutting and pasting - new skills we're still working on.

 He was potty-trained at 2.5, but still has accidents very occasionally. Usually when playing is more fun than stopping.

He is also VERY active. He loves to run, jump and climb. He would play outside all day, every day if I would let him. I should let him more often. I don't have the stamina to keep up with him all the time. He's so curious, creative and fun-loving. He wants to discover everything and is afraid of less than he should be.

I think we are starting a Pre-K class within the next few weeks. I'm excited to give him some social time and also to see how many new learning opportunities this presents for him.

I'm very proud of our bright little boy. He's really a joy & I just pray for the patience and energy to keep up with him as he continues to grow & learn. So thankful he's our baby!

No comments: