Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Week 2 -3

I forgot to mention that by day 2 we had already placed baby sister in her crib, but she was sleeping in the Fischer Price Baby Papasan inside of her crib. We also toted it around the house during the day, to have her near us. She preferred to be in the same room we were in.

We were not allowed to clip her nails yet, as newborn skin is too fragile, but I finally gave them their first real clip on 1/28.  That same day we got a large winter storm, so her 2 week appointment was pushed back from 1/29 to 2/1.  She has been increasingly fussy in the evenings. From about 8pm-1am she goes through a very fussy spell. She has been projectile vomiting and her stomach gets distended, hard as a rock, and she has VERY painful gas and bloating. During this time she screams in pain, and there is very little we can do to console her. It is frustrating to see your baby in pain. She also has been cluster feeding, I'm assuming to move the gas through her system. The only problem is that she almost doesn't stop eating, and I think this results in even more discomfort for her. The common wisdom is that you can not overfeed a breastfed baby, so we're going with that mentality, and hoping that's true. Jonas was a pretty hefty baby, and I have a feeling that Marin is heading in the same direction.

The doctor was very pleased with Marin at her 2 week check-up.  At her first appointment,  the Monday after leaving the hospital, Marin had not lost any weight. She was an even 7lbs, which was the same as her discharge weight. Her doctor was very pleased. Despite the problems we were having latching on, she seemed to be doing well with weight gain/maintenance.  At her 2-week appointment she was in the 75-90% in all categories. Her weight was 8lb.10oz. (She's gained 1lb 10oz. in 2 weeks!), Her height was 20.5in (1 inch growth), and her head circumference was 37cm.

We introduced a pacifier yesterday 2/2/10. She had just eaten and was very fussy, and rooting because of discomfort. The pacifier soothed her and she drifted off to sleep. I think this will help us when we're in the car, or some place where feeding is not possible, to stave her off until we are able to get to a better location to feed her. Fortunately, now that I have nursing covers - I can feed nearly anywhere! I have one from Johanna Designs that I keep in my diaper bag, and one that I keep at home by Peanut Shell that Marlene got me. Both are beautiful and have already proven to be extrememly useful.

Yesterday she slept better than previous nights, and I'm wondering if it had something to do with the pacifier? She was less gassy, and after midnight only woke for 2 feedings. One at 2:40 (bed for me at 4:00am), then again at 6:00am, bed for me at 7:50am.

No comments: