Monday, July 21, 2008

state of flux

Hey friends. I would really appreciate your prayers right now.

I have so many decisions to make in the near future & so little time to make them. I am considering going back to school to pursue a Master's Degree in Speech Pathology. I've been accepted into a program to pursue the prerequisites for the Master's program. Those of you that have spoken with me much, know that I've been trying to pinpoint a direction for furthering my education for a while. I think that will be a good fit for me for many reasons, but mainly because it will allow me to have technical expertise in a field that requires a specific degree, while utilizing my creativity and passion for making a difference in people's lives. I also recently coordinated a wedding with a friend whom I was planning on entering into business with. We are scheduled to do a bridal show this Sunday & she just told me that because she doesn't need me financially to run the business, we will not be partnering, but that I will instead be a contractor to her & I'm not sure if that's worth the time & effort to me. It also is not very motivating in terms of seeking out additional business. This has really upset me, mainly because I feel like I've wasted a lot of my time and effort already. I am trying not to be upset, and don't want to jeopardize our friendship, but I have a lot of praying and thinking to do as far as how to proceed. I need to do something at least part time to help my family financially. With gas prices sky rocketing and me staying home - it leaves very little for us. I could also get a full-time job if I found one that was a good fit for my passion and qualifications. Also, Clint is preparing to go back to school and has a few different paths he is considering. His decision will very much determine the course of my decisions on all of these things. With him going to school, this will put a little more strain on my evenings, as I will be alone with Jonas most days & evenings.

I feel torn in many different directions, but am needing some clarification and guidance. I enjoyed helping coordinate the wedding very much, but do not see myself doing that on my own in the future. It's too much for one person without support staff. I do not think I could do that full-time and be a full-time student as well.

Also, I have to consider child care for Jonas. It is sad for me to think about not spending my day with him, but I think now is a good time for me to pursue higher education, especially because I feel that the outcome will allow me to work and have a schedule similar to his when he begins school.

Anyway...there are so may considerations and I'm a little overwhelmed. I'd really appreciate your prayers and wisdom.

Thanks friends!
Mandy

6 comments:

Gina said...

Sounds like a lot at once. I will definitely be praying for you.

Marmot Mom said...

Hi Mandy!
Just read your comment on my blog from a MONTH ago--(gee, I guess I need to read those more often, hm?)
Now I read your blog and see you have your hands full with big decisions!

I like that you are not just thinking about now, but about the future when your little guy gets older. That's smart. Sometimes it feels like God gives us too many choices--the luxury of having so much freedom can make things confusing!

My husband went back to school three years ago for a masters in teaching Special Ed. Like you, he changed careers because he wants to make a difference in the lives of kids.
My advice is: don't plan school AND something else like work. You already have a full time job with your son--school is a HUGE add-on and you might not want to consider adding on anything else! My husband went for an 18-month master's program. We don't regret that he did it, but in many ways we are still making up for the lost time--and we have teenagers and not babies!
I will pray! :)

Lizzytra said...

I had forgotten that you had a blog! I hope you don't mind, but I linked to it on my blog as otherwise - I just forget... LOL! We'll blame it on Mommy brain.

I'm sorry to hear about your business experience. Those things are very difficult.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate to think about.

Oh, my goodness... Jonas' bday party was amazing looking! You should coord. kid parties! Wow, loved those bird nest things.

So glad for here and facebook to keep up with you and all the exciting things going on in your life!

ziggy said...

Mandy,

You look great!! Your baby is adorable too. I'm so glad to see and know that you're OK. I kept track of you as you were re-doing your house. It looks like a nice and comfy home. Aren't lettle girls wonderful? I love them. If you'd like to write Lizzy has my email address. Lisa

ziggy said...

Dear Sweet Mandy,

I hardly looked at your babies name. I don't think that Jonas would be a girls name...sorry about that. But...you look GREAT!! I saw a picture of your Mom and she looks good too. Tell her hi for me. If at all possible I'd like to get in touch with her. I miss yapping with her. I love boys too by the way.

Heather said...

Hey friend! Thanks for your sweet words about Hadley! We think she's pretty cute too! :)

I had heard about the whole avoiding peanuts thing during pregnancy and breastfeeding, but our allergy doctor actually told us on Monday that that belief had JUST been overruled in the last couple of months. Which is good, because I've been living off of pb&j sandwiches since I can't eat dairy!